what to do about unsupported encodings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject what to do about unsupported encodings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
pg_get_encoding_from_locale() in chklocale.c reports this when it finds
a locale with an encoding it does not recognize:

ereport(WARNING,       (errmsg("could not determine encoding for locale \"%s\": codeset
is \"%s\"",               ctype, sys),  errdetail("Please report this to <pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org>.")));

I guess we don't get many of these reports.  But when testing out all
the locales that an OS provides, I can produce tons of warnings like
this, mostly related to legacy encodings of various localities.

Should we maintain a list to the effect of, these are encodings we have
heard about but don't support?  Or should we just drop the "please
breaking in this code, but it seems to have held up well.