Re: Background writer configuration - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Background writer configuration
Date
List pgsql-performance
<200603151154.33504.jd@commandprompt.com>, "Joshua D. Drake"
<jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

>> I then did some calculations, based on the sustained write speed of
our
>> drive array (as measured by copying big files to it), and we tried
>> this:
>>
>> bgwriter_lru_percent = 20.0
>> bgwriter_lru_maxpages = 200
>> bgwriter_all_percent = 10.0
>> bgwriter_all_maxpages = 600
>>
>> This almost totally eliminated the clusters of timeouts, and caused
the
>> transaction application rate to increase by a factor of eight over
the
>> already- improved speed.  (That is, we were running 30 to 35 times
as
>> many transactions per minute into the database, compared to the
default
>> background writer configuration.)  I'm going to let these settings
>> settle in for a week or two before we try adjusting them further (to
see
>> if we can eliminate those last few timeouts of this type).
>

> Can you tell us what type of array you have?

Each machine has a RAID5 array of 13 (plus one hot spare)
    15,000 RPM Ultra 320 SCSI drives
2 machines using IBM ServRaid6M battery backed caching controllers
2 machines using IBM ServRaid4MX battery backed caching controllers