Re: Automatic free space map filling - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: Automatic free space map filling
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Csaba Nagy wrote
> From my POV, there must be a way to speed up vacuums on huge tables and
> small percentage of to-be-vacuumed tuples... a 200 million rows table
> with frequent updates of the _same_ record is causing me some pain right
> now. I would like to have that table vacuumed as often as possible, but
> right now it only works to do it once per week due to load problems on
> long-running transactions preventing vacuuming other tables.

Are you running 8.1?  If so, you can use autovacuum and set per table
thresholds (read vacuum aggressivly) and per table cost delay settings
so that the performance impact is minimal.  If you have tried 8.1
autovacuum and found it unhelpful, I would be curious to find out why.

Matt