Re: install - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Seneca Cunningham
Subject Re: install
Date
List pgsql-novice
crdandridge1@comcast.net wrote:
> silly me! i was trying "adduser" when the command i needed to use was
> "useradd"....boy do i feel stupid....now i'm at the part where i do "su -
> postgres" and its asking me for a password but i don't remember ever setting
> up one...any ideas?

Check your distro's documentation about useradd.  There probably is no
password set for the account.

Check to see if postgres has a shell set up in /etc/passwd.  If there
is, you can "su - postgres" as root or "sudo su -  postgres" as a
nonroot user with sufficient sudo privileges.  If there is no shell for
the account, use chsh to set one before trying to switch users.

Also, linux's current stable release is 2.6.15.4.  While "linux 10.0"
does reduce the number of possible distributions, you would be more
likely to get help relating to the distro you're using if you say which
one it is.

--
Seneca Cunningham
scunning@ca.afilias.info