Re: detecting serials in 8.1 - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: detecting serials in 8.1
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Andreas Pflug wrote:

> It's _always_ fine, because GetSchema obeys the search path and the
> reengineered SQL is meant to be used in a search path situation as it
> was at the time of reengineering. There are plenty of other situations
> where the reduced form (omitting search-pathed schema) won't work.

Let me back up and make clear what I'm saying.  The code I originally
submitted is not correct.  The code you committed is not correct either.
  To correctly determine what the default value for a serial will look
like, you need to know what the search_path was at table creation time.
  Knowing its current value is not relevent.

Run the following in psql.

SET search_path TO public;
CREATE schema s1;
CREATE TABLE s1.t1(a serial);
SET search_path TO s1;
CREATE TABLE s1.t2(a serial);
\d t1
\d t2

Note how one default includes the schema and the other doesn't.  Explain
how pgadmin can correctly determine the default value for both of these
tables.

Kris Jurka