two count columns? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jan Danielsson
Subject two count columns?
Date
Re: two count columns?  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-sql
Hello all,
  I have written a small firewall, and sshd, logging system which uses
postgresql for storing the logs.
  The table that stores the firewall logs has, among other columns,
from_ip, port and a timestamp.

I want to construct a query which returns the columns:

from_ip | port 22 entries | total entries | last_access

I have managed to put this together:

select from_ip, count(from_ip) as entries, max(ts)::timestamp(0) as
last_access from log where to_port=22 and direction='in' group by from_ip
  So the only thing I'm missing is the total number of log entries
matching the from_ip, but that's where I'm stuck. My instinct is to try
to use subqueries:

select from_ip, count(from_ip) as entries, count(select * from log where
...) as tot_entries, max(ts)::timestamp(0) as last_access from log where
to_port=22 and direction='in' group by from_ip

..but count() doesn't take a subquery afaik, and how would I match the
from_ip in the inner select with the outer one? So I assume that
subqueries aren't the way yo go. Is there even a query to return those
columns in that configuration?

Thankful for any hints or tips.

--
Kind Regards,