Re: Connecting process to PostgreSQL works stunningly slow - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Connecting process to PostgreSQL works stunningly slow
Date
List pgsql-general
Bart Golda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a problem with PostgreSQL 8.1 on a production server (Windows
> 2003 Server, Xeon 3GHz, 1GB)); application placed on it run for a month
> without problems. It was great. But yesterday...
>
> Any connection to the server, from application or pgAdmin (both
> previously working fine), is slow. I mean, I have to wait *minutes* for
> even login to succeed. Even when connecting from the same machine, with
> pgAdmin, with no users connected to it. Restarting the service is slow,
> opening the database is slow, backup is slow. Sometimes minutes, I
> mean. Like there was something wrong with listening for connections -
> sometimes I got an information that server on [my_ip_here:my_port_here]
> is not listening. The machine runs other services, but there is no
> heavy load on it and users do not have any problems with e.g. (don't
> shoot) MS SQL Server.

Firstly, make sure PostgreSQL is logging everything you'd like.
Connections in particular might be interesting.

Secondly, check to see if you have a lot of activity with PostgreSQL on:
  1. CPU
  2. Disk I/O

If not, check your anti-virus system - if it's checking on every file
access that PG makes that'll grind things to a halt.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd