Re: When to close a Statement - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Carlos Correia
Subject Re: When to close a Statement
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

Achilleus Mantzios escreveu:
| O Carlos Correia έγραψε στις Feb 15, 2006 :
|

| Hi,
|
| After having had some problems with JDBC statements, as I mentioned in a
| in the way Postgres deals with statements, I would like to know what is
| the proper way of dealing with this.
|
| I realized that the need to close the statement is implementaion
| dependent, and now I'm a bit confused as I can't find anything in
| Postgres docs about this issue... so the questions are:
|
| - must I close the statement after *every* executeXXX method call?
|
| - should I also close the connection as well, or may I leave it open
| during the application execution?
|

|> Close a statement when you dont need it any more.
|> e.g.
|> PreparedStatement neinsst=con.prepareStatement("insert into
|> sparecasesdets(scid,no,descr,qty_obd,qty_req,drgno,partno)
|> VALUES(?,?,?,?,?,?,?)");
|
|> java.util.Enumeration en = request.getParameterNames();
|
|> for (;en.hasMoreElements();) {
|
|>     String str_no=(String) en.nextElement();
|>     boolean isdascd = str_no.startsWith("no_dascdid");
|>     neinsst.setInt(1,Integer.parseInt(scid));
|>     int rc = neinsst.executeUpdate();
|> }
|> neinsst.close();

I haven't fully test it with PreparedStatement yet, but with normal
statements -- the ones you get after calling connection's
createStatement() -- after several executeXXX() calls I get an
SQLException saying "the connection has been closed" (this problem only
occurs with PostgreSQL v8.x in Windows -- I haven't been able to test in
Linux yet -- with v. 7.x I haven't notice such problems).

Thanks,

Carlos
- --
MEM?RIA PERSISTENTE, Lda.