Re: Very slow updates when using IN syntax subselect - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bryce Nesbitt
Subject Re: Very slow updates when using IN syntax subselect
Date
List pgsql-sql
Tom Lane wrote:

>> Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>>
>>> They occur in finite time.  That's good, thanks.  But jeeze, can't
>>> postgres figure this out for itself?
>>>
>> I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if PostgreSQL did a full table scan
>> before each query to figure out the total size of the involved tables.
>>

> It's also less than polite to complain about the behavior of
> two-year-old releases, without making any effort to ascertain
> whether more-current versions are smarter.

Sorry to offend.  Are current versions smarter?
The DB I was working with still had row counts of 1 after tens of thousands
of records had been added.

With new versions, must the DB still be VACUUMED, or is that a bit
more automatic?