Re: using schema-qualified names in INSERTs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: using schema-qualified names in INSERTs
Date
List pgsql-general
Frank Church wrote:
> Does PostgreSQL support INSERT syntax of this kind -
>
> insert into table (table.col1, table.col2, table.col3) values('one', 'two',
> 'three')?
>
> Trying it out generates an error. It works when the 'table' bit is removed from
> the column names.

What would this do for you? What would it mean if I wrote?
   INSERT INTO table1 (table2.col1, table3.col2) VALUES (...)

The list of columns can only apply to the table you've just named -
that's the only thing that makes sense.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd