Re: drop if exists remainder - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: drop if exists remainder
Date
List pgsql-patches
>>> Here's a first draft patch for DROP ... IF EXISTS for the remaining
>>> cases, namely: LANGUAGE, TABLESPACE, TRIGGER OPERATOR CLASS,
>>> FUNCTION, AGGREGATE, OPERATOR, CAST and RULE.
>>>

>> At what point does this stop being useful and become mere bloat?
>> The only case I can ever recall being actually asked for was the
>> TABLE case ...
>
> Chris KL said it should be done for all on the grounds of consistency.
> But I will happily stop right now if that's not the general view - I'm
> only doing this to complete something I started.

Well, my use-case was to be able to wrap "pg_dump -c" output in
begin/commit tags and being able to run and re-run such dumps without
errors.  Basically I don't like 'acceptable errors' when restoring dumps
:)  They just confuse newer users especially.

I also just like consistency :)

Chris