Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 without readline and zlib - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 without readline and zlib
Date
List pgsql-general
gfnobrega wrote:
> Hi, list!
>

> Exist some negative performance impact in compiling postgresql without libs
> readline and zlib? I was compiling in a HP PA-RISC with HP AnsiC compiler.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/install-procedure.html

--without-readline
   Prevents use of the Readline library.
   This disables command-line editing and history in psql,
   so it is not recommended.
--without-zlib
   Prevents use of the Zlib library.
   This disables support for compressed archives in pg_dump and pg_restore.
   This option is only intended for those rare systems where this
library is not available.

You can get by without readline without too much trouble, but I'd be
less willing to lose compressed archives.

HTH
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd