Re: bug with if ... then ... clause in views - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff
Subject Re: bug with if ... then ... clause in views
Date
List pgsql-general
Emil Rachovsky wrote:

>While trying to create some views I stumbled on some
>problem with using the if-then clause. Here is a
>simple example :
>
>CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW public.SomeView
>  as select d.id,
>  if (true) then d.DocNumber endif from
>public.Z_Documents as d;
>
>I get the following error :
> syntax error at or near "then" at character 72
>
>I don't have a clue what is going on here. Any
>suggestions?

IF / THEN is not part of SQL. it is part of plpgsql.
However you'll find that CASE can do the same thing.
select d.id, case when true then d.docNumber else 'something else' end
as blah, public.Z_documents as d ...

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/