Re: Distance calculation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Sidney-Woollett
Subject Re: Distance calculation
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm no expert on this but can't you limit the points to checking any
hotel whose lat is +- 25km north/south of your city, AND whose longitude
is also +- 25km of your city. It's crude but will probably eliminate
lots of points you should never be checking...

If you could index an approx lat and long for each hotel you could use
two indexes (or one combined) on these fields to filter the results
BEFORE applying the DISTANCE function.

You'll need to compute your approx upper and lower bound lat and long
for filtering.

I'm not sure if this approach works, but it may help?

John