VBA 6 crashes with WIN2K, Postgres 8.1, why ? which dll ?? - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From linuxgps
Subject VBA 6 crashes with WIN2K, Postgres 8.1, why ? which dll ??
Date
Re: VBA 6 crashes with WIN2K, Postgres 8.1, why ? whichdll ??  ("Campbell, Greg" <greg.campbell@us.michelin.com>)
List pgsql-odbc
Hi all,

I'm a beginner to MS Windows.
I began to to test VBA 6.0(SP6) with Postgresql 8.1 -with odbc- on
WIN2K(SP4).
For the test (accessing postgres db thru visual basic) I use the code,
given by the distro (psqlODBC HOWTO- Visual Basic).
The first problem I've encounted that the code in the given test snippet
is not full functioning:
"rs.Refresh"  doesn't implemented ?
I use in the "Project Preferences" "Microsoft ActiveXData Objects 2.1
library (msado21.tlb)

I've installed some other MS stuff on the machine, and now the Postgres
database call makes a memory exception and crashes.

Q 1.:  Is this general, or some libraries are wrong on my system ?
Q 2.: Which MS tools are to control/update the msado-libraries
Q.3.: Which msado or similars are necessary to connect with visual basic
to postgres ?

thank  you in advance
 testuser vba

-----------------

Sub Main()
Dim cn as New ADODB.Connection
Dim rs as New ADODB.Recordset

  'Open the connection
  cn.Open "DSN=<MyDataSourceName>;" & _
          "UID=<MyUsername>;" & _
          "PWD=<MyPassword>;" & _
          "Database=<MyDatabaseName>"

  'For updateable recordsets we would typically open a Dynamic recordset.
  'Forward Only recordsets are much faster but can only scroll forward and
  'are read only. Snapshot recordsets are read only, but scroll in both
  'directions.
  rs.Open "SELECT id, data FROM vbtest", cn, adOpenDynamic

  'Loop though the recordset and print the results
  'We will also update the accessed column, but this time access it through
  'the Fields collection. ISO-8601 formatted dates/times are the safest IMHO.
  While Not rs.EOF
    Debug.Print rs!id & ": " & rs!data
    rs.Fields("accessed") = Format(Now, "yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss")
    rs.Update
    rs.MoveNext
  Wend

  'Add a new record to the recordset
  rs.AddNew
  rs!id = 76
  rs!data = 'More random data'
  rs!accessed = Format(Now, "yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss")
  rs.Update

  'Insert a new record into the table
  cn.Execute "INSERT INTO vbtest (id, data) VALUES (23, 'Some random data');"

  'Refresh the recordset to get that last record...
  rs.Refresh

  'Get the record count
  rs.MoveLast
  rs.MoveFirst
  MsgBox rs.RecordCount & " Records are in the recordset!"

  'Cleanup
  If rs.State <> adStateClosed Then rs.Close
  Set rs = Nothing
  If cn.State <> adStateClosed Then cn.Close
  Set cn = Nothing
End Sub