Re: Loading lots of data in a SQL command - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Loading lots of data in a SQL command
Date
List pgsql-sql
frank church wrote:
> I am load lots of data via SQL into a database and wrapping it into transactions
> speeds it up.
>
> However this fails a number of times. The queries results are logged so it is
> easy for me to find problem records.
>
> However a single failure causes the whole transaction to fail.>
> Is there a setting or feature that allows which allows the same performance as
> transactions, without causing the whole process to fail, like a delayed updates
> or write mechanism of some sort.

Not as it stands. I tend to use a small perl wrapper myself that loads
in batches of e.g. 10000 rows and if there is an error deal with it
separately.

I seem to recall it being discussed as a built-in feature recently
though, so there might be someone working on it for a future version.

> It is something I would like to set in that particular data looad.

You might find the "pgloader" project meets your needs exactly:  http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgloader/

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd