Re: Triggers and Audit Trail - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric E
Subject Re: Triggers and Audit Trail
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Marcus,<br /><br /> Marcus Couto wrote: <blockquote cite="mid003c01c60c9d$ab543860$bc00000a@programmer2"
languageand triggers to keep an audit trail. For editing changes, we only keep a log of the modified fields and we
createa record for each modified value. The audit table </font><font face="Arial" size="2">record holds
information likeuser, date/time, table_name, field_name, old_value, new_value, type(delete, new, edit). </font><font
usingit production.  It works reasonably well.  It was quite a bit of work to develop, and still has some rough
edges.<br/><blockquote cite="mid003c01c60c9d$ab543860$bc00000a@programmer2" type="cite"><div><font face="Arial"
size="2">Usingtriggers, is there a way to loop through the fields of the OLD and NEW records? </font><font face="Arial"
size="2">Ihaven't found a generic way to get the field name and value that triggered the update other than hard coding
MichaelFuhr mentioned you can't resolve it in PL/PGSQL.  I ended up using PL/TCL because it was stable under 7.4 and it
doesthe field dereferencing you need.  As of 8.0 and later PL/PERL is also stable and I believe it does field
dereferencingas well. <br /><br /><blockquote cite="mid003c01c60c9d$ab543860$bc00000a@programmer2"
type="cite"><div><fontface="Arial" size="2">Another issue is how to keep track of the audit user since we share the
samepostgres user and our application keeps track of the actual current user locally. Is there some kind of way we can
Ilooked into that as well, and it's pretty hard.  Most applications that use only one database user but have multiple
application-levelusers are three-tier, and the apps tend to do logging themselves, often using a separate loggin
mechanismlike log4j and friends.  So for that part I'd either have your app write the user action into the appropriate
table,or look into retrieving the PK of your audit/history table row, passing it back to your application and having
yourapplication log the user after writing the row history table.  Otherwise you're at the mercy of when and how your
triggerfunction to enumerate the table and fields, and then call two functions that actually write the log of the
/></font><fontcolor="#009900"><br /> # get the name of the table<br /> spi_exec "select relname as trg_tablename from
pg_classwhere oid=$TG_relid;"<br /><br /> # loop over all the fields in the relation new getting field names and
values<br/> foreach {fieldname fieldval} [array get NEW] {<br /> # you can use this to assemble your SQL to insert into
thatactually write the log run setuid (i.e. "Security of definer" checkbox in pgAdmin or SECURITY DEFINER in PGSQL
parlance). This means that the audit (actions) table and row history tables can be stored in schemas not readable by
users.<br/><br /> Also bear in mind when implementing an audit trail in this way that you'll have to apply any changes
inthe tables you are auditing to the tables that store your audit trail, and this can get complex as the tables
evolve.<br/><br /> There was also some audit code for Postgres written in C, but I couldn't find much documentation for
it,so I abandonded it.  I think a comprehensive audit package for Postgres would be a great addition, but sadly I lack