Re: Overriding the optimizer - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig A. James
Subject Re: Overriding the optimizer
Date
Re: Overriding the optimizer
Re: Overriding the optimizer
List pgsql-performance

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

>>> You just create an index on myfunc(foo, bar)
>>

>> only if myfunc(foo, bar) is immutable...
>

> And if it's not then the best any database can do is to index scan
> row_num - so still you have no problem.

Boy, you picked a *really* bad example ;-)

The problem is that Postgres decided to filter on myfunc() *first*, and then filter on row_num, resulting in a query
timethat jumped from seconds to hours.  And there's no way for me to tell Postgres not to do that!

So, "you still have no problem" is exactly wrong, because Postgres picked the wrong plan.  Postgres decided that
applyingmyfunc() to 10,000,000 rows was a better plan than an index scan of 50,000 row_nums.  So I'm screwed.

Craig