triggering on deletes, NEW row or OLD row? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter L. Berghold
Subject triggering on deletes, NEW row or OLD row?
Date
Re: triggering on deletes, NEW row or OLD row?
List pgsql-general

Hi folks,

I hope this question isn't a stupid one, but I'm fairly much a newbie to
SQL in general and Postgres in particular.

I have a table (abbreviated for clarity sake) that contains:

create table change_record (
    change_record_id     integer not null
                 default nextval('change_record_id_seq')
                 primary key,
       --- Some other fields
        associated_with_project boolean not null default 'false'
);

and a second table such that:

create change_record_map (
       change_record_map_id integer not null
                default nextval('change_record_map_id_seq')
                primary key,
       change_record_id     integer not null
                            references change_record(change_record_id)
                            on delete cascade,
       project_id           integer not null
                            references projects(project_id)
                            on delete cascade
);

What I want to put into my schema is two triggers.  One for when a row
is added to the change_record_map it forces the column in the
change_record table "associated_with_project" to be set to true
appropriately.  That part I have down OK.

The other trigger I want to put in place is when a delete happens to a
record in the table change_record_map I check to make sure that the
associated change record is not associated with another project (could
happen) and force the associated_with_project column in the
change_record table to false ONLY if there are no other associated
projects.

The question I have is with a trigger on delete are the NEW and OLD
system variables valid? Which one is valid?

- --
Peter L. Berghold                                     Peter@Berghold.Net
"Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it."
AIM: redcowdawg        Yahoo IM: blue_cowdawg              ICQ: 11455958

Attachment