PostGreSQL 8.1.0 : out of memory during vacuum full analyze - Mailing list pgsql-general

From DANTE ALEXANDRA
Subject PostGreSQL 8.1.0 : out of memory during vacuum full analyze
Date
Re: PostGreSQL 8.1.0 : out of memory during vacuum full analyze
List pgsql-general
Hello,

This is my first posting in this mailing list and I am a PostGreSQL newbie.
I've posted this message in the "novice" mailing list last friday, but I
have any response.
I hope somenone could help me.

I realize a benchmarck on PostGreSQL on a 300Gb database. I used the
release 8.1.0.

I have created my database, which contains 8 tables, loaded each table
and created the appropriate indexes.
Then, on each table, I have launched the "VACUUM FULL ANALYZE" command
as a non-root user.

This command failed on the last table, the biggest, called "lineitem"
which contains 1799989091 rows (near 300 Gb of datas).
This description of this table is :
TPCH=# \d lineitem
               Table "public.lineitem"
     Column      |         Type          | Modifiers
-----------------+-----------------------+-----------
 l_orderkey      | bigint                | not null
 l_partkey       | bigint                | not null
 l_suppkey       | bigint                | not null
 l_linenumber    | bigint                | not null
 l_quantity      | numeric               |
 l_extendedprice | numeric               |
 l_discount      | numeric               |
 l_tax           | numeric               | not null
 l_returnflag    | character(1)          |
 l_linestatus    | character(1)          |
 l_shipdate      | date                  |
 l_commitdate    | date                  |
 l_receiptdate   | date                  |
 l_shipinstruct  | character(25)         |
 l_shipmode      | character(10)         |
 l_comment       | character varying(44) |
    "i_l_orderkey" btree (l_orderkey), tablespace "tb_index"
Tablespace: "tb_lit"

Three hours after having launched the command, I've got this error :<>

   <>TPCH=# VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE lineitem;
   <>INFO:  vacuuming "public.lineitem"
   <>*ERROR:  out of memory*
   DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 67108864.

I do not try to launch again a vacuum full analyze on this table.

Can someone tell me why this error appears ?
Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Alexandra DANTE