Re: Performance large tables. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Benjamin Arai
Subject Re: Performance large tables.
Date
Re: Performance large tables.
Re: Performance large tables.
Re: Performance large tables.
List pgsql-general
To be more specific,  there are two types of commands that are run on
the system.  There are application commands that do all different types
of joins and etc but for the most part are fast enough to meet user
expectations.  On the other hand there is a weekly update (This is the
problem) that updates all of the modified records for a bunch of
finacial data such as closes and etc.  For the most part they are
records of the type name,date,value.  The update currently takes almost
two days.   The update does deletions, insertion, and updates depending
on what has happened from the previous week.

For the most part the updates are simple one liners.  I currently commit
in large batch to increase performance but it still takes a while as
stated above.  From evaluating the computers performance during an
update,  the system is thrashing both memory and disk.  I am currently
using Postgresql 8.0.3.

Example command "UPDATE data where name=x and date=y;".