Re: need help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: need help
Date
List pgsql-general
Jenny wrote:
> I'm running PostgreSQL 8.0.3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu (Fedora Core 2). I've been
> dealing with Psql for over than 2 years now, but I've never had this case
> before.

> Then I try to run the query from the psql shell. For example, the table has
> obat_id : A, B, C, D.
> db=# UPDATE s_apotik SET stock = 100 WHERE obat_id='A';
> (.... nothing happens.. I press the Ctrl-C to stop it. This is what comes out
> :)
> Cancel request sent
> ERROR: canceling query due to user request
>
> (If I try another obat_id)
> db=# UPDATE s_apotik SET stock = 100 WHERE obat_id='B';
> (Less than a second, this is what comes out :)
> UPDATE 1

It could well be another client has a lock on that record, for example
by doing a SELECT FOR UPDATE w/o a NOWAIT.

You can verify by querying pg_locks. IIRC you can also see what query
caused the lock by joining against some other system table, but the
details escape me atm (check the archives, I learned that by following
this list).

If it's indeed a locked record, the process causing the lock is listed.
Either kill it or call it's owner back from his/her coffee break ;)

I doubt it's anything serious.

--
Alban Hertroys
alban@magproductions.nl