Re: EXPLAIN SELECT .. does not return - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Link
Subject Re: EXPLAIN SELECT .. does not return
Date
Re: EXPLAIN SELECT .. does not return
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

>David Link <dlink@soundscan.com> writes:
>

>>Certain SQL Queries, I believe those with many table joins, when run as
>>EXPLAIN plans, never return.
>>

>I'd guess that one or all of these settings are excessive:
>

>>geqo_threshold = 14
>>from_collapse_limit = 13
>>join_collapse_limit = 13
>>

>Keep in mind that the planning cost is exponential in these limits,
>eg geqo_threshold = 14 probably allows planning times about 14 times
>greater than geqo_threshold = 13.
>
>While I'm looking:
>

>>shared_buffers = 2000
>>

>That seems extremely low for modern machines.
>

>>sort_mem = 1048576
>>

>That, on the other hand, is almost certainly way too high for a system-wide
>setting.  You're promising you have 1Gb available for *each* sort.
>

>>max_fsm_pages = 100000
>>

>And this way too low for a 100Gb database, unless most of the tables
>never see any UPDATEs or DELETEs.
>

>>wal_buffers = 800
>>

>Seems a bit high, especially considering you have fsync disabled and
>thus there is no benefit whatever to buffering WAL.
>

>>commit_delay = 100
>>commit_siblings = 50
>>

>Have you measured any benefit to having this turned on?
>
>All in all it looks like your configuration settings were chosen by
>throwing darts :-(
>
>            regards, tom lane

Thanks for your reply, Tom.  Different folks have made different
suggestions.  Can you suggest more reasonable values for these?  But
more importantly, do you think the problem I am having is due to these
configuration short comings?

Thanks much.
David