Re: Selecting Large Object and TOAST - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Selecting Large Object and TOAST
Date
List pgsql-general

> This doesn't answer the question.
>
> Fact is that most procedural languages (including PL/pgSQL) don't have
> any access to classic large objects in the first place. So all the
> stored procedure can do is to return the identifier of the large
> object to the client and the client must then use lo_open(), lo_read()
> etc. to actually get the data of the object. Not all client interfaces
> support these fastpath based libpq functions.

You are correct, I missed the part about wanting to return from a stored
procedure.

>> Well I have to disagree with this. It entirely depends on the size of
>> the data you are storing. Bytea is remarkably
>> innefficient.
>
> Which would be the data type of your choice for images?
Well as I said it depends on the size of the data. Are we talking 100
meg vector images? Then large objects. Are we talking thumbnails that
are 32k then bytea.

Joshua D. Drake