Re: Selecting Large Object and TOAST - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Selecting Large Object and TOAST
Date
List pgsql-general

>> (1) what would be the return type if i want to return a large object (
>> XYZ.gif) to the remote client (GUI) using stored procedure.
>> Can anyone give an example please?
>> Are there any size limitations i need to consider when returning Large
>> Object using procedures?
You have to use a lookup table that correlates the meta information
(filename, content-type)
with a particular loid. That way you can store any binary you want.

>> How do i TOAST my data stored as Large Object?
This isn't a concern as it is all internal and automatic.

> You don't. You would change you schema and application to store the
> images in bytea columns instead.

Well I have to disagree with this. It entirely depends on the size of
the data you are storing. Bytea is remarkably
innefficient.

Joshua D. Drake