Re: Faster db architecture for a twisted table. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Faster db architecture for a twisted table.
Date
List pgsql-performance
Rodrigo Madera wrote:

>Imagine a table named Person with "first_name" and "age".
>
>Now let's make it fancy and put a "mother" and "father" field that is
>a reference to the own table (Person). And to get even fuzzier, let's
>drop in some siblings:
>
>CREATE TABLE person(
>   id bigint PRIMARY KEY,
>   first_name TEXT,
>   age INT,
>   mother bigint REFERENCES person,
>   father biging REFERENCES person,
>   siblings array of bigints  (don't remember the syntax, but you get the point)
>);
>
>Well, this is ok, but imagine a search for  "brothers of person id
>34". We would have to search inside the record's 'siblings' array. Is
>this a bad design? is this going to be slow?
>
>What would be a better design to have these kind of relationships?
>(where you need several references to rows inside the table we are).

Create a table "sibling" with parent_id, sibling_id and appropriate FKs,
allowing the model to reflect the relation. At the same time, you can
drop "mother" and "father", because this relation is covered too.

Regards,
Andreas