Re: Print advertising (search terms) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Mike Ellsworth
Subject Re: Print advertising (search terms)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
All,

I thought I would pick up this thread again.  A couple of weeks ago, Robert Bernier offered to pick up a bit of advertising for keyword search for PostgreSQL on his own budget.

I picked at the Overture (now Yahoo) Keyword Selector tool:

http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

for a couple of hours yesterday and believe I have a basic strategy:

1)  It would be a bad idea to get into a search term bidding war on Robert's dime
2)  For any term selected, should show up in the Top 8 --- otherwise end up on a 2nd page and rarely viewed.
3)  Using derivatives or complementary technology may produce low costs/high return results.

As an example, a search for:

open office

yields
112456  open office security issue
25960  open office
1784  open office download
710  open office software
410  free open office
391  microsoft to open office
321  open source office
etc

search
openeoffice

yields

16494  openoffice
2286  openoffice download
1005  openoffice 2.0
557  the openoffice org
551  openoffice software
etc

Off the top of my head possible ad:
"Did you know that you can use PostgreSQL to securely store your Open Office documents?
bla bla bla.  "  Then a link to a very brief tutorial on the pg site.

The same basic idea can be used for many other features:
ADODB = 632

""Did you know that ..."

procedure stored = 1289

and so on.  All of which would put an ad either at the top or very near the top - affordably.  There must be content relative to the search term.  In the case of "adodb" or "procedure stored" (as examples), it already exists.  For Open Office, a bit of something would need to be created.

I will spend some time pecking away, but only if there is a level of concensus that the basic concept above would be helpful.  If so, I will peck --- then send to Robert (he's the money man), who can edit and post to the list.

Thanks,
Mike

btw:  As an aside -  "partnering" (reciprocal links at the mimimum) with Open Office (or others) may prove quite fruitful.  But that's probably a task for Steering guys.

More traffic---> more developers---> more ad revenue---> ensuing development, etc.
Everyone benefits.