Re: Thoughts on MySQL and InnoDB - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Thoughts on MySQL and InnoDB
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 11/29/2005 10:42 PM, Jan Wieck wrote:

> [...]
> of attention. I was shocked to learn that functions and triggers cannot
> access any tables. So all a trigger can do is check/modify the values at
> hand.

This statement was based on an article found on the MySQL site.

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-triggers.html

Apparently the information is outdated. The functionality was added in
5.0.10.

http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?99,33676,33676,quote=1

So I am not shocked about that any more, but more shocked that MySQL AB
feels free to make significant changes in features from one patchlevel
to another. One can't even rely on a list of supported features for 5.0.
  No wonder that there is a lot of confusion. The available set of
features depends on the "release of the month". They intermix all sorts
of backward incompatible feature changes with bugfixes. I consider this
practice a classic example of sub standard software maintenance. It is
hard to believe that anyone would put a database system into production,
where every single bugfix release has to go through the full QA cycle
like a major version upgrade. The full release history horror story can
be found here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/news-5-0-x.html

Jan