Re: postgres log file - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: postgres log file
Date
List pgsql-general
surabhi.ahuja wrote:
>  hi
> I start postmaster by giving the following command
>
> /usr/bin/pg_ctl -w -l postgreslog -D $PGDATA -p /usr/bin/postmaster -o '-p ${PGPORT}' start
>
> however nothing gets looged in postgrelog.
>
> if i see postgreslog it shows me only this:
> LOG:  logger shutting down
> LOG:  logger shutting down

Does the PostgreSQL server process have permission to write to the file
"postgrelog" in whatever directory this is?

Normally you'd create a directory owned by user postgres (e.g.
/var/log/postgresql) and then log to a file in that directory.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd