Re: ice-broker scan thread - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Boreham
Subject Re: ice-broker scan thread
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Qingqing Zhou wrote: <blockquote cite="midPine.LNX.4.58.0511282350370.13833@josh.db" type="cite"><pre wrap="">
read-aheadthreads to simulate async IO

Due to my tests on Windows (using the attached program and change
enable_aio=true), seems aio doesn't help as a separate thread - but maybe
because my usage is wrong ... </pre></blockquote> I don't think your NT overlapped I/O code is quite right. At least<br
/>I think it will issue reads at a high rate without waiting for any of them<br /> to complete. Beyond some point that
hasto give the kernel gut-rot.<br /> But anyway, I wouldn't expect the use of aio to make any<br /> significant
differencein an already threaded test program. <br /> The point of aio is to allow<br /> I/O concurrency _without_ the
useof threads or multiple processes.<br /> You could re-write your program to have a single thread but use aio.<br />