Re: Installation trouble - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re: Installation trouble
Date
List pgsql-general
Steve Crawford wrote:
> On Monday 31 October 2005 13:00, Tom Lane wrote:
>>Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> writes:
>>>if I try to ensure the C locale I
>>>keep running up against:
>>>FATAL:  XX000: failed to initialize lc_messages to ""
>>We've seen a few reports of this before, but never been able to
>>identify the cause.  What platform are you running on, exactly?
>>Did you build your own PG executables; if not, where did you get
>>them from?
>
> Vanilla built from source (./configure ; make ; make install).
>
> Platform:  SuSE Linux 8.2 (i586)
>
> uname -a: Linux web2 2.4.20-4GB #1 Mon Mar 17 17:54:44 UTC 2003 i686
> unknown unknown GNU/Linux
>
> Selected environment variables:
> CPU=i686
> HOME=/var/lib/pgsql
> HOSTTYPE=i386
> LANG=en_US
> LC_COLLATE=POSIX
> LOGNAME=postgres
> MACHTYPE=i686-suse-linux
> OSTYPE=linux
> PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/games
>
> I did not install PostgreSQL when the machine was originally built
> _but_ certain client libraries are installed by YaST to satisfy
> dependencies. I do not believe any server-related libraries were
> installed.
>
> I also tried substituting the new libraries for the old as well as
> removing them from /usr/lib entirely without effect.
>
> For completeness and guc.c line numbers, here's the whole output:
> postgres@web2:~> initdb --no-locale /var/lib/pgsql/data
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
> "postgres".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.
>
> fixing permissions on existing directory /var/lib/pgsql/data ... ok
> creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/global ... ok
> creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog ... ok
> creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok
> creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_clog ... ok
> creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_subtrans ... ok
> creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/base ... ok
> creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/1 ... ok
> creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_tblspc ... ok
> selecting default max_connections ... 10
> selecting default shared_buffers ... 50
> creating configuration files ... ok
> creating template1 database in /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/1 ... FATAL:
> XX000: failed to initialize lc_messages to ""
> LOCATION:  InitializeGUCOptions, guc.c:2389
> child process exited with exit code 1
> initdb: removing contents of data directory "/var/lib/pgsql/data"
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Progress Report:

Started over. A drive failure prevented the machine from rebooting so I
started from scratch with a new drive and a fresh install of SuSE 8.2
(Linux web2 2.4.20-4GB #1 Mon Mar 17 17:54:44 UTC 2003 i686 unknown
unknown GNU/Linux).

This time I PostgreSQL 8.1.0 (previously 8.0.3) compiled from source
with vanilla ./configure ; make ; make install. Symlinked the binaries
to /usr/bin. Same result (whether I specify the full real path to initdb
or not).

Additional searching still yields lots of messages with the question but
none with the answer.

Cheers,
Steve