Re: New user questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: New user questions
Date
List pgsql-general
Walter Dnes wrote:

>  I'm running PostgreSQL 8.0.3, the latest stable ebuild, on Gentoo linux.
>
>  1) Am I inviting any problems in linux by moving the directory
>/var/lib/postgresql to /home/postgresql, and then symlinking
>/home/postgresql back to /var/lib/postgresql?  The reason for this is
>to avoid having databases, indexes, etc, physically ending up on my
>/dev/sda1 partition, which I want to reserve for the OS only.

No.  But I would rather do an initdb to a different location and edit
your init.d script, but this is a personal choice and I have trouble
deciding which is better or why :-)

>  2) Although I have an AMD64 cpu. I chickened out and went for a 32-bit
>install.  If/when I do migrate to 64-bit, can I keep my databases, or
>will I have to export/import them?

I don't know how architecture-specific the data format might be as it is
written to disk, in particular how alignment might be affected.  To be
safe, plan on an export/import and take a dump of your cluster before
you do the upgrade :-)

>  3) Are there any free sample datasets and tutorials for users who are
>familiar with SQL and Oracle PL/SQL?  I have no DBA experience, but I do
>write quite a few read-only Oracle SQL queries and PL/SQL programs at
>work, even though I'm not a CS.  An Oracle-to-PostgreSQL comparison
>would be nice to see.

Take a look at the online docs.  The tutorial is aimed mostly at SQL
newbies, but there are sections on migrating from Oracle.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting