pg_connect troubles on localhost - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Taber
Subject pg_connect troubles on localhost
Date
List pgsql-general
using postgresql 8.1 on Ubuntu Breezy
I cannot connect to a database I created - checking \du the username is
listed.  I also created a password with #ALTER ROLE yyyy WITH PASSWORD
'zzzz'  I tried without password but it calls for a password.  Any ideas?

<?php
$vhost = 'localhost';
$vname = 'xxxx';
$vuser = 'yyyy';
$vpassword = 'zzzz';
$db_handle = pg_connect("dbname=$vname user=$vuser password=$vpassword");
pg_close($db_handle);
?>

Warning: pg_connect() [function.pg-connect]: Unable to connect to
PostgreSQL server:
FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "yyyy" in /var/www/test.php
on line 12