Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases ( - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Date
Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (  ("Luke Lonergan" <llonergan@greenplum.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Luke Lonergan wrote:

>     (mass snippage)
>     time psql -c "select count(*) from ivp.bigtable1" dgtestdb
>     [llonergan@modena2 IVP]$ cat sysout3
>       count
>     ----------
>      80000000
>     (1 row)
>

>     real    1m9.875s
>     user    0m0.000s
>     sys     0m0.004s
>     [llonergan@modena2 IVP]$ !du
>     du -sk dgtestdb/base
>     17021260        dgtestdb/base

> <cough, cough> OK – you can get more I/O bandwidth out of the current
> I/O path for sequential scan if you tune the filesystem for large
> readahead.  This is a cheap alternative to overhauling the executor to
> use asynch I/O.
>
> Still, there is a CPU limit here – this is not I/O bound, it is CPU
> limited as evidenced by the sensitivity to readahead settings.   If the
> filesystem could do 1GB/s, you wouldn’t go any faster than 244MB/s.

Luke,

Interesting - but possibly only representative for a workload consisting
entirely of one executor doing "SELECT ... FROM my_single_table".

If you alter this to involve more complex joins (e.g 4. way star) and
(maybe add a small number of concurrent executors too) - is it still the
case?

Cheers

Mark