Re: Partial foreign keys, check constraints and inheritance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric E
Subject Re: Partial foreign keys, check constraints and inheritance
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe wrote:

>>>I did think about that, but I disliked the idea of two fields of nulls
>>>for every one full field.... maybe it's not as bad a way of doing it
>>>as I thought.
>>>

>>BTW, in most cases I have 5+ tables to do this, so that's 4+ fields of
>>

>null in each row...Could you use some kind of intermediate join table, so that it pointed
>to orders and then products / customers / othermidlevel tables pointed
>to it, and so did the problems table?

Clever - that intermediate table sounds like sort of a GUID for every
element in the database, along with what table it belongs to, and the
problems table points at that GUID.  Sounds pretty promising.  Thanks
for the idea.

EE