Re: Choosing PostgreSQL as the database for our next project - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Johnny Ljunggren
Subject Re: Choosing PostgreSQL as the database for our next project
Date
List pgsql-general
William Yu wrote:

>> Hmm, okay. We're now looking at another, simpler, way to do it. The
>> same setup but the clients on Center 1/2 will connect directly to the
>> Main center (2Mb leased line). The databases on Center 1/2 will then
>> just be a replica of the Main databases.
>> The biggest issue though is what happens when the lines go down:
>> 1. connect to local database server
>> 2. line comes up => changes to local database sent to main database
>> 3. connect to main database server
>
> It sounds like now is you have a master -> multi-slave setup. If master
> goes down, people use slave instead w/ master re-replicating after it
> comes back up. This config should be much easier to configure out of the
> box -- you shouldn't need to write any custom app code.
>
> What I'm not sure about though is what would happen with 2 slaves if
> main goes down AND the connection between center 1 & 2 is also
> disconnected. Others with more experience with the various master/slave
> replication solutions might want to chime in now on how it would work.

Well, this might be a problem, because there is no connection between
center 1 and 2, so they will basically live their own lives as long as
the connection to main center is down.

--
Johnny Ljunggren, Vestlia 6, 3080  HOLMESTRAND, 918 50 411