Re: Choosing PostgreSQL as the database for our next project - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Johnny Ljunggren
Subject Re: Choosing PostgreSQL as the database for our next project
Date
List pgsql-general
William Yu wrote:
> Johnny Ljunggren wrote:
>
>> 1. Replication - multimaster
>> I'll try to explain the setup to the best of my ability:
>> Three centers:
>> Main center - database with a backup database
>> Center 1 - database with a backup database
>> Center 2 - database with a backup database (same as center 1)

Hmm, okay. We're now looking at another, simpler, way to do it. The same
setup but the clients on Center 1/2 will connect directly to the Main
center (2Mb leased line). The databases on Center 1/2 will then just be
a replica of the Main databases.
The biggest issue though is what happens when the lines go down:
1. connect to local database server
2. line comes up => changes to local database sent to main database
3. connect to main database server

 From what I understand this will be possible but I may need to roll my
own replication code to handle data conflict issues? Especially since
center 1/2 may be down at the same time and then might change the same data.
How do the tools for this compare against the ones from Oracle?

--
Johnny Ljunggren, Vestlia 6, 3080  HOLMESTRAND, 918 50 411