Re: union with count? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: union with count?
Date
List pgsql-sql
--- Gerardo Herzig <gherzig@fmed.uba.ar> wrote:

> Hi dudes, i have the following question
> i have 2 tables with the same format, and i want to know if is there a
> possibility of using some sort of count(*) for achieving this result:
> select a from table1 where (condition) union select a from table2 where
> (condition), count(a) group by a

I think you are showing count(a) in the wrong spot in your example.  But if I understand you
correctly the following should do what you want:

SELECT count(a)
FROM
(   SELECT a   FROM table1   WHERE (your_condition = true)

UNION -- you can use UNION ALL if you      -- want rows that are duplicates from each table.
   SELECT a   FROM table2   WHERE (your_condition = true)
)
GROUP BY a;