Re: Xeon vs Opteron - second revision - tests and questions - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Marcin Giedz
Subject Re: Xeon vs Opteron - second revision - tests and questions
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hello,

First of all: many thanks Tom for pointed me out what I made wrong and
Jim for 'spikes'.

I made some new tests:
available at http://85.128.68.44

What have changed since last time:
    - database engine - now it's 8.1.0
    - number of clients  - "-c 20 "
    - number of transactions - "-t 1000"

Really seems that you have made EXCELLENT work. Performance increased
about 25% in 8.1.0.

I also made some changes related with bg_write and wal (according to Jim):
bg_writer_all_percent = 0.433
bg_writer_all_maxpages = 15
wal_buffers = 8192

However I still can see 'spikey' performance but  not as much as  before
changes.  What can I do  more to  eliminate or smooth these spikes? I
tried to increase bg_writer_all_xxx parameters but.... spikes still
exists ;).

Regards,
Marcin