Re: Performance of autovacuum and full vacuum of database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: Performance of autovacuum and full vacuum of database
Date
Re: Performance of autovacuum and full vacuum of database  ("Carlos Oliva" <carlos@pbsinet.com>)
List pgsql-general
Carlos Oliva wrote:
> Thank you for your response Matthew.  Currently I run pg_autovacuum with the
> following scripts.
> su -l postgres -c "pg_autovacuum -D -U postgres > /dev/null 2>&1"&
>
> Do you suggest that I could change it to something like the following:
> su -l postgres -c "pg_autovacuum -d2 -D -U postgres > /tmp/vacuum.log 2>&1"&

Yes exactly, and if you find that pg_autovacuum is never or not often
enough firing off vacuum comands, then you will need to play with the
threshold settings.  The default thresholds for pg_autovacuum are too
conservative for most people, so you may very well have to do this.