Locale/Indexing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tamas Hegedus
Subject Locale/Indexing
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I was using locale="C" (ANSI_SQL) in the last years as ONLY this case
indexes were used in queries containing """... LIKE 'someString%' """.

I would like to access my databases through JDBC (I am new to it; I am
not a programmer). For JDBC it is highly recommended not to use ANSI_SQL
encoding. Note: I would like to use non-ANSI_SQL encoding. I would like
to avoid taking care of non-ansi-sql charachters...

=> Does this mean that through JDBC I can not use ANSI_SQL implying I
can not use indexes in 'LIKE' queries?
=> Which encoding is the best/most common to use?

Thanks,
Tamas

PS: How to setup to receive emails from the list not in a digest form? I
could not figure out.

--
Tamas Hegedus, PhD          | phone: (1) 919-966 0329
UNC - Biochem & Biophys     | fax:   (1) 919-966 5178