Re: libpq version in rpm packages - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: libpq version in rpm packages
Date
List pgsql-general
Brian Mathis wrote:
> I just set up a new server and would like to use rpms to manage the
> software on this one.  I've done the compile from source thing most of
> the time, but over time it seems to get messy.
>
> I'm using CentOS 4.2, which only has packages for postgres 7.4, but I
> very much want to use 8.1.  I installed the 8.1 RPMs, but when I try
> to install packages like perl-DBD-Pg, or php-pgsql, rpm complains
> because they want libpq.so.3, and postgres 8.1 comes with libpq.so.4.
>
> Does anyone have a workaround for this?  I've thought about forcing
> the rpms to install, or even installing the postgres libs from 7.4.

I did a rpmbuild --rebuld of those two packages (perl and php) after I
installed 8.1.  This worked OK, but I can't run a nightly yum update
because it complains that it can't install the update for the php package.

Is there some type of compat rpm that we can install so that these
packages will find the required version of libpq?

Matt