Re: Beyond the 1600 columns limit on windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: Beyond the 1600 columns limit on windows
Date
List pgsql-general
Evandro's mailing lists (Please, don't send personal messages to this
address) schrieb:
> Yes it is exactly that. I will follow you advice and create a
> abstraction layer for the data access that will return the sparse
> dataset using the standard dataset as input.
>
> There is just one thing I disagree you said it that the performance is
> not good, right. However, it is practical! Nothing is easier and more
> practical than keeping the sparse representation inside of the database
> for my application.

I bet even your application would profit from not handling sparse data.
You could just "not" insert them into your tree instead of having
to jump over empty elements.

And there is always a way to lazily abstract the data to some
frontend (While I doubt anybody can actuall scroll wide enough on
a screen to see all the 1600 colums ;)