Re: Programmatic method to determine currently installed - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Programmatic method to determine currently installed
Date
List pgsql-general
Will Wright wrote:

> Hi Magnus, thanks for the quick response.
> Unfortunately I still have an issue with this regsitry
> identification method because I'd like to code my
> installer so that it can also identify the postreSQL
> versions that were not available at the time I
> authored my install check, i.e. future versions.

You could issue a "SELECT version()" - that is about as definitive as
you can get.

Don't forget you'll need to cope with the case where a user has 2 or
more versions of PostgreSQL running on the same machine. I'm not sure
it's safe to assume only one installation.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd