Re: Enums again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: Enums again
Date
Re: Enums again  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any conclusion. If I want to design
> an Open Source system now that may be in beta in three to six months and
> I'd like to use enums, is this a good place to look?

There's no way you're going to be using enums.

> I guess I'm wondering about the kit going into PgFoundry, being accepted
> in the main branch or being dropped. And the timeframe for all that.

Time frame is more like 18 months.  The kit is also very rough - not
like a finished feature would be like at all.  Plus, there's no
guarantee the feature would ever make it into postgres.

Just don't use enums - they're awful.

Chris