Re: Using native win32 psql.exe using alternative cygwin - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Reid Thompson
Subject Re: Using native win32 psql.exe using alternative cygwin
Date
List pgsql-general
Bill Bartlett wrote:

>I hit this exact same problem, and my initial reaction was the same as
>yours -- psql was "hanging".  After much head-banging, I discovered that
>it is not in fact hanging, but is instead getting confused by being run
>from inside Putty, Cygwin, xterm, rxvt terminal, etc.  Because psql is
>not being run from a native Win32 console window, it puts itself into
>non-interactive mode, so it shows no prompts, allows no line editing,
>shows no command history, etc.  But it is actually running.  (And I
>couldn't find any combination of TERM settings, security settings or any
>other settings that would get around this.)
>
>Unfortunately, at the moment there is no command-line flag to force psql
>into "interactive" mode.  I have the code (courtesy of Bruce Momjian) to
>add a flag such as this, but I haven't had time to set up the
>environment to actually recompile psql.
>
>Alternatively, you can run Cygwin's version of psql against the native
>Win32 PostgreSQL 8 database, assuming you install the base Cygwin
>environment.  This does work fine, and gives you the added benefit of
>including "readline" support (something compiled out of the native Win32
>version of psql), so tab-completion works even in the Windows
>environment.  Two caveats, however:
>
>1) You can't install _just_ psql from the Cygwin setup -- you'll have to
>install the complete PostgreSQL environment (database and all), then
>copy just the psql-related files (psql.exe and pq.dll) to your
>workstation. (So be sure to NOT install this on your main PostgreSQL
>server -- no telling what will happen when the Cygwin version of the
>PostgreSQL server tries to run at the same time as the native Win32
>version already on there.)
>
>2) The latest "release" version of PostgreSQL for Cygwin is v7.4.5.
>There is v8.x code available in CVS, but you'll have to compile it
>yourself.  I'm also planning on doing this too, but I haven't had the
>time.
>
>- Bill

as info -- if you use the cygwin setup program, and click the
Exp(erimental) tab, you'll get 8.0.0-cvs downloaded/installed.
You can check the box to download the source also/instead, if you want
to build yourself....