Re: Changing ids conflicting with serial values? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Changing ids conflicting with serial values?
Date
List pgsql-general
Steven Brown wrote:

> When I change an id (primary key serial) in a table, the next value
> returned by the sequence for the id can conflict with that id (e.g.,
> change the id to be id + 1).  MySQL seems to handle this transparently
> by skipping conflicting values, but with PostgreSQL I get primary key
> conflicts.  It seems rather bad if a user can modify an id in a row
> and cause failures for all future inserts - it's just too fragile.
> What's the proper way to handle this in PostgreSQL?

Why are your users modifying the key in the first place? Typically in an
environment where you have an autoincrementing key, that key is static.
Meaning it does not change for a particular
row. Thus it never conflicts. Could you perhaps explain a little further
what it is you are trying to do?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake