Re: Copying data from one column to another - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nels Lindquist
Subject Re: Copying data from one column to another
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2 Nov 2005 at 0:34, Tino Wildenhain wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 01.11.2005, 16:03 -0700 schrieb Nels Lindquist:
> > Hi there.
> >
> > Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm relatively new to PostgreSQL.
> >
> > I'm trying to copy information from one column, modify it and place
> > it in another column.  Is there some shortcut way to do this with an
> > UPDATE statement?
>
> Yes, this is simply UPDATE.
>
> UPDATE sometable SET somecolumn=somefunction(someothercolumn);

Thanks!  Knowing that it *should* work, I was able to figure out what
I was doing wrong (casting to a data type which didn't match the
array type I'd accidentally selected when creating the column with
pgAdmin III).

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager