Sorting problems with SELECT * FROM table WHERE name LIKE 'Ö%' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nico Grubert
Subject Sorting problems with SELECT * FROM table WHERE name LIKE 'Ö%'
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Sorting problems with SELECT * FROM table WHERE name LIKE 'Ö%'  (Nico Grubert <nicogrubert@arcor.de>)
List pgsql-general
Hi there,

I have a problem when sorting records with:
SELECT * FROM table WHERE name LIKE 'Ö%'

I am running Postgres 8.02 with a database whose character encoding is
UNICODE.

The SQL Query

   SELECT *
     FROM member
     WHERE name LIKE 'O%'
           OR
           name like 'Ö%'
     ORDER BY name

returns this:
  Öhlmann
  Öhmann
  Obenaus
  Ochoa
  O'Donovan
  Oehme
  Oklant
  Oltub
  Oltüch
  Oltutz
  Oltüwer

According to german sorting rules the result is fine except the both
first entries "Öhlmann" and "Öhmann".
Why do appear these records at the beginning of the list?
The proper result should read like this:
  Obenaus
  Ochoa
  O'Donovan
  Oehme
  Öhlmann
  Öhmann
  Oklant
  Oltub
  Oltüch
  Oltutz
  Oltüwer

The same problem accours when using "E" where my result is this:
   Élie de Beaumont
   Eberer
   Ecü
   Edding