Re: Doubt in parser - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Doubt in parser
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Michael Glaesemann <grzm@myrealbox.com> writes:
> On Feb 16, 2006, at 21:37 , Dhanaraj wrote:
>> currently i looking at the postgres src code. I saw the scanner and
>> parser implemetations at two different places (src/backend/parser/
>> and  /src/bakend/bootstrp). Can anybody tell me the purpose of
>> having two phases?? or will this help to parse the queries at
>> different levels?

> AFAIK, I don't think the code is exactly the same (though I haven't
> checked).

No, not even close.  The bootstrap parser reads the "bki" language
defined here:
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/bki.html

"bki" is simple enough that it's hardly even worth using a bison parser
for, but someone did it that way so that's what we've got.